Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Northern Retros Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
scrappage survivor; VW T3 9 seater
Topic Started: Jun 27 2012, 20:18 (1,914 Views)
trev

This is what I'm currently messing with:

an '81 9-seater minibus that was literally one day away from the crusher when a neighbour spotted it, knew I was into the auld ones ;) so put me onto it. I agreed a deal and returned the next day with the wheels off my bay window Westy and an A-frame and dragged it the 10 miles home with the steering locked. Corners were fun!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Upon initial inspection, it appeared that the cab floor was rotted on either side, as were the door steps and a spot inside the left lower corner of the windscreen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so I set to repairing the floors and steps first:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and then popped out the windscreen to see how bad the corner was. Unfortunately it was worse than expected and the lower lip of the windscreen frame was in trouble too. The dashboard wasn't looking too clever either.

Posted Image

on closer inspection, it became apparent that the van had taken some damage to the front in the past and had received a new upper front panel which was welded in very poorly, leading to further corrosion. So I took it off (very easily :( ) and repaired it in the garage. This made it very easy to replace the seized windscreen wiper motor with one from a B4 Passat. Straight swap :)

Posted Image

with all the rot replaced with fresh steel the panel was welded back on properly and the screen refitted. I also repaired the corner of the dash where it had rotted away.

Posted Image

then onto the sliding door which showed swelling filler in places:

Posted Image

I ground off ALL of the filler to reveal a lifetime of knocks and bruises, all repaired by filling. Three layers of fillr/paint/filler/paint in spots!! The rot was repaired, the worst of the dents pushed out from behind and then all red-oxide primed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's the state of play for the moment. For a van that sat outside for 25 years it's in remarkable condition. The only rot spots are the result of badly repaired damage, not proper rot. The chassis is in excellent condition and the body shell is also now very good. I got the engine running after fitting new fuel hose and a set of spark plugs. Next on the list is two more small spots of rot to repair and then sort out the brakes. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GAVIN
Member Avatar
Administrator
Excellent stuff Trev

MikeyNI
Member Avatar
Administrator
Good stuff there, look forward to the progress updates on this one!

trev

15" Wellers with knobbly-ish tyres ;)

Posted Image

for no other reason than the wheels off my bay were under it which wasn't a long-term solution and I had these in the back of the shed :)

GAVIN
Member Avatar
Administrator
Isn't unexpected rock solidness ├╝ber cool Trev! The Slambury looked scrap yet only needed 1 patch behind a window rubber B-)
Posted Image

GAVIN
Member Avatar
Administrator
U gotta do a more modern......
Posted Image

trev

I was thinking of some kind of distressed sign writing alright but what to do?

It's not a panel van so what would a 9-seater minibus be used for back in the day? I was thinking of something along the lines of a cheesy Bible group tour bus or something. Or maybe an airline courtesy bus. Like Lufthansa or maybe AerLingus but I don't know if the red colour would suit either airlines corporate colours.

Ideas appreciated :)

Rob
Member Avatar

Good man yourself Trev, one more Dub saved from the crusher.

shielsy

blue rince bingo bus owen nw

fergal71

trev
Jun 27 2012, 22:57
I was thinking of some kind of distressed sign writing alright but what to do?

It's not a panel van so what would a 9-seater minibus be used for back in the day? I was thinking of something along the lines of a cheesy Bible group tour bus or something. Or maybe an airline courtesy bus. Like Lufthansa or maybe AerLingus but I don't know if the red colour would suit either airlines corporate colours.

Ideas appreciated :)
cool bus what about german fire service they were red

trev

yeah, good idea and plenty of inspiration available from a quick google images search. Like this:

Posted Image

trev

interior out, hoover out the years of dust and dirt and discover some rot in the edge of the floor:

Posted Image

cut out and repaired:

Posted Image

one step closer to tidied up!!

MikeyNI
Member Avatar
Administrator
Floor nicely tidied there! :)

GAVIN
Member Avatar
Administrator
Love this van more every view

trev

got another van as a donor for this one. it's a twin slider minibus but the rear seating has all been removed and lost :( Oh, it's rotten as f**k too ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

MikeyNI
Member Avatar
Administrator
Good stuff, donor van should help with the resto!!

Jim
Member Avatar

You have to keep that back bumper, definatly stop tailgaters, although you'll need a bigger engine to pull it :P

Faker
Member Avatar

great story so far fella. great progress with the bus. Would be awesome left as a rat though. you could get it sign written as a rock band bus. The dropheads or something!
Posted Image

Reliving my youth!!

trev

this:

Posted Image

was something I had been putting off for a while, the damage to the top of the window & frame that is. The van had been lifted out of its resting place and onto a truck and off the truck again and dropped in a yard. Both times by a large chain through the middle windows. Not very smart but as far as the guy who lifted it was concerned, nobody would be foolish enough to try to restore this wreck, would they? :lol3:

so when I got the donor bus, I had new enthusiasm for the task. The opposite side has similar damage and I had previously removed the window, straightened the aluminium frame out as best I could without cracking it and popped it back in but it's not 100%. I didn't relish the thought of doing it again for a mediocre finish. But when I got the pair of fresh sliding windows to pop into the van, all that had to be repaired was the top of the window aperture in the shell.

Posted Image

I was trying to figure out how I'd repair it. I reckon a body shop would have some kind of hydraulic device that would clamp onto the seam and pull it back to shape but I don't have such luxuries so I drilled the relevant spot welds, split the two skins and used my slide hammer with a "L" shape hook attachment and pulled the two skins back into shape before welding them back together again. The end result isn't bad...

Posted Image

Now that I'm happy with the technique and I have a better window to replace the semi-repaired bent window in the sliding door I'll tackle the other side too...

MikeyNI
Member Avatar
Administrator
Great work there, looks like it's never been damaged!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Resurrection section · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Retro Mecanic