Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Northern Retros Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
manta ray beach buggy barn find
Topic Started: Apr 7 2013, 18:49 (6,534 Views)
shielsy

26 years ago a new housing development was built next to where my mother had just bought her new house , the first big house on the site was massive and had a garage to match , one day when passing i noticed a manta ray beach buggy , 1o years later i got chatting to the owner , a local indian bussiness man , he kindly let me look around it , but wouldnt sell it , so it was there for 26 years , lol thats what i thought , i met the man 3 weeks ago at the local shop i went over to him and enquired about the buggy again , when we got to chatting about it i said that i knew he had it 26 years ,

no no no i have it 42 years , i nearly fell ,he built it when he was 21 , he bought it in bits from a man in BELFAST , he said he tied the body to the roof of his merc and towed the rest behind the car lol i kidd u not , he told me he had the front wheels banded using mk1 ford capri front 13inch rims . on to the proper wide5 wheels , and done the back with i think rims of a jag ,

we got into deep vw back in the day talking , i slipped in would u sell it to me now , to see what he would say .

he looked up to the roof and said to me, i swore i would never sell it until the boys grew up and see if they wanted it , but now they are accountants in london , so i think i might sell it , he took me into the garage to find it , lol , and find wasnt a joke , it was buried under piles boxes , furniture , etc u could just make it out , and still where i had last seen it 16 before , and one of his ole merc set beside it to , which he wants to sell 1 owner , derry reged BUI ,

buried the same , in cracking condition too ,

so again i asked ,
made him an offer ,
no no no i couldnt let it go for that ,
well he gave me a price ,
i said no , i was sticking to my offer as it was there 26 and who else knew about it ,

he asked what i would do with it , i told him restore back to the way he had it , he stuck out his hand and said u own it now ,

then he looks up at the roof again and says i must dig out that new roof i got made for it years ago lol .
i nearly fell ,

and best of all its YELLOW ,

OWEN NW
i trying to get the pics up on photobucket but its not working right ,

pics to follow
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shielsy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

he also has this ole merc for sale 1 owner

Posted Image

shielsy

i then get offered this a 63 bug
needs light res
to
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jdev

nice find there and c/w hard top, should clean up well B-)

retro

GAVIN
Member Avatar
Administrator
Me likey the Merc! Did he give a price??

shielsy

around £1400 its very good not perfect but , would make a great show car ,108000miles one owner ,

Raff
Member Avatar

She's goin to a good home Owen. Spose she'll be MOT'd by the end of the month :D

Raff.

shielsy

naw but its yellowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lol owen nw

redvanman

If Shielsy fell into the Foyle he would come out with a salmon in his pocket

shielsy

bought a full turn key complete engine from a gt for £150 from a fellow club member , he said it was leaking from the crank shaft oil seal , and i should get it checked out , . so i went to dave wheatly ie caddy in armagh , dave put it on the bench stand turned it over , said the leads on 1 and 2 where in the wrong place ,so changed them over topped up the oil and away it went LOVELY SOUNDS . he gave it a quick check over , replaced the crank shaft oil seal etc and o ring , and bobs your uncle , so ill stripp it down and blast the tin wear , service it , and get the valves checked , so no hidden surprizes.

i spoke to the man i bought the buggy from and he said i could get it at the weekend all goes well ,
owen nw
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

spike

Sounds like the buggy was sitting waiting for you Owen and couldn't have gone to a better home. It is supposed to be sunny next week so if you get your skates on fitting that engine ...l

As a youngster I loved the buggy in the Thomas Crown Affair and the plan was to get out of North belfast in the '80's for a month in south of France in one - obviously with Faye Dunaway or at least a look-a-like. According to Google that was a Meyers Manx....if you ever find one of those that you don't want give me a shout.

shielsy

well a sad day for RAV the owner and a good day for me , . well the buggy is now on my trailer at the house , i went down to day to help RAV clear the garage , when i got down he said he s been at it for 45 minutes and the car was beginning to reappear , so we got tore in and read the place , the more we got in the more both of us where taking pics and i knew deep down that RAV WAS HAVEN SECOND THOUGHTS . i then noticed some spares in the shelves across the garage , well we cleared the place and it was time to winch on to the trailer , and the best of all noting was seized , i even turned the engine with a spanner , he then produced the roof and side screen doors ,so on it went , as u will see in the pics it was a sad day for him haven 42 years of memories for him and his family , so i promised him and his good wife that when the car is done the first port of call is down to them so they can have it for a couple of days , for a bit of fun , and RAV said he would like some pics of it for his company , he then asked what colour i would do it and i told him that it would be kept original in his colour ,so of he goes back into the garage and comes out with 2litres of the original paint in the original tins lol , it got better , so have a look ,
Posted Image
one owner merc he wants to sell needs resto
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
foot ball pitch on the roof lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
lovely un marked seats
Posted Image
Posted Image

shielsy

Posted Image
air in the tyres but have set
Posted Image
Posted Image
nearly read out
Posted Image
on the phone telling his son in london the sad news
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

shielsy

underside in good nick will need some welding
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

a gathering of 1 owner cars
Posted Image

he s taking pics am taking pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

out she comes
Posted Image

shielsy

Posted Image
wife gives a hand
Posted Image
Posted Image
another 1 owner
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
empty
Posted Image
Posted Image

shielsy

sPosted Image

i spy with my little eye VW SPARES

Posted Image

roof and side screen doors

a SAD TIME FOR RAV MEMORIES LOTS OF THEM 42 YEARS OF THEM

Posted Image

some thing missing

Posted Image

Posted Image

ready to go

Posted Image

he then hands me 2 litres of the original paint bmw gulf yellowPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

shielsy

my 63 with guard dogs
Posted Image
Posted Image
me da gives it the nod
Posted Image
Posted Image
of course does tiny
Posted Image
Posted Image
so does the neighbours
Posted Image

shielsy

we had a bit of a miss HAPP LET ONE OF THE NEIGHBOURS take it of the trailer , said to him have ye brakes , yep he says , gave it a push the beds tilts he flys of straight in the the gate , jesus i though he had wrecked it , but it shows how well built the shell is it just bounced of the side of the gate and scrapped the side , cant say the same for paddy , i thought he was going to throw up lol , put the roof on , checked some of the spares , and come across an oil filled coil , never seen one before , the last owner said it was an ole vw one , can any one comfirm , and an ole starter i think its 6v

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

could we get tiny out of the buggy lol

#Posted Image

Posted Image

poser

Posted Image

Posted Image

paddy the buggy crasher on the left

shielsy

paddy crashes the buggy
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
tinys car and buggy side by side beetle is for sale
Posted Image
the main man TINY #
Posted Image
tiny and stephen
Posted Image
Posted Image

shielsy

Posted Image
we could nt get tiny or the dummies out lol

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Resurrection section · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Retro Mecanic